Back-to-Back: Women’s Soccer Wins Championship

For the second consecutive season and third time in the last four years, the Owls are winners of the MASCAC Championship. Entering the tournament as the third seed, Westfield State won their second straight league title and seventh since 2008 with a 3-0 clinching victory over fifth seeded Salem State University on Sunday. The difference with this squad is that they got to clinch the title on their own turf, despite only winning two home games before Sunday’s contest.

The roads were different, but the feeling always stays the same no matter who on the team you talk to.

“One of the best feelings in the world,” senior Casey Rotti said, “We did it last year and that was exciting, but back-to-back definitely brings it up to another level.”

“Honestly, it’s awesome,” freshman Jenn Rennich stated, “I never won it before, but I felt the energy from everyone else.”

The victory was also emotional, especially for tournament MVP Nicole Chretien. The senior had a total of four points in the Owls’ tournament run including a goal and an assist in the championship game, but decided to deflect the praise to her teammates.

“I don’t deserve it; my whole team deserves it,” Chretien stated, while fighting back tears, “Everyone just really gave their all and I think this is a team award.”

This championship run didn’t go as smoothly as the 2017 run did. Two late-game winning goals in the quarterfinals vs Fitchburg State and in the semi-finals at Bridgewater State saved the Owls’ season from ending, but through it all champions were made.

“We went through a lot this season and to come out on top is well-deserved for the whole team,” Junior Bella Eduardo stated.

“We’ve all been playing soccer for over 18 years and we’ve gone through a lot of ups and downs this season, and towards the end we were telling each to just play and have fun,” Chretien explained.

Some narratives of this team were to make sacrifices and focus on defense, and boy did it show in the postseason with the Owls only allowing two goals throughout the tournament. As Eduardo explains, she’s willing to have career lows in points in order for her team to succeed.

“I’m willing to do whatever it takes our team to win as long as we’re winning; that’s all that matters. Whatever sacrifice I have to make for the team, because everyone puts everything on the line every day.”

“Everyone works hard for 6 days a week,” Eduardo continues, “Working for each other, our whole theme these playoffs has been sacrifice.”

While the team can celebrate now, they’re going back to work shortly as they prepare to play in the opening round of the NCAA Division III Tournament against William Smith College on Saturday, November 10th.  

“It’s always exciting,” Rotti explains, “The whole traveling aspect, staying at a hotel, just being there playing against teams that are the top in the country. It’s an awesome feeling to get to be a part of that.”

While the journey continues, this team will savor being the best MASCAC team for the second year in a row.