Green Day is Back!

This past Friday, Green Day released their highly anticipated new album Father of All. While it is their shortest album to date, it may also be one of their best. To be clear, I’m not saying that this album is good enough to beat an album like American Idiot. What I’m saying is that in my personal opinion, it’s good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as an album like that, as well as Dookie, and 21st Century Breakdown. I thought almost every track on here sounded great, even if it was different from what I would typically associate with Green Day. The only song I really took issue with was the ‘Fire, Ready, Aim’ track. To me the song just felt very lacking in substance, because it didn’t feel like the band was really saying anything. Other than that, this album was great!

If there was one track on here that reminded me of classic Green Day, it would have to be ‘Junkies On A High’. The rhythm of the song itself, along with Billie Joe’s own voice, is very reminiscent of a song like ‘Boulevard of Broken Dreams’. Along with this, another song I found interesting was The Beach Boys-esque track ‘Stab You In the Heart’. This song felt very much like surf rock with a very aggressive tone. I think what I appreciate most about this album is that it’s trying different things, while still feeling like it was made by a punk band. They aren’t caving in to what makes a lot of music popular these days, and I think it’s important to give them credit for that at the very least.

Overall, this is a great album that I think a lot of people are going to enjoy. It’s very fast paced, and at times political. Especially during the final track on the album, ‘Graffitia’. But it’s done very subtly, which I can appreciate. So, should you give this album a listen? Yes. You absolutely should!