ADHD: Joyner’s Debut First Thoughts

This album is a beast! I’ve only listened to it the whole way through once, but from my first listen through, I think I can safely say that this is a great first album for Joyner Lucas. I understand why Eminem has such a great deal of respect for Joyner. We have been waiting for years, and now it’s finally here!

One of my first thoughts when listening to this album was that he starts it off very strong with a skit meant to introduce the concept for this album. His ADHD. Then for the first official track of the album, he really begins to show off his lyrical acrobatic skills in ‘I Lied.’ Which I personally thought was a great Intro song for this album, because along with Joyner’s lyrical ability, the beat he’s rapping on is also terrific. Along with Joyner’s own struggles with his ADHD, this album seems to be mainly concerned with self-reflection.

While tracks like ‘Lotto’ and ‘Isis’, seem to be made for pure braggadocio, most of the tracks on this list appear to have a deeper meaning than just flexing. The titular track is the one I’d consider to be the deepest look into Joyner’s psyche, because it’s when he gets the most personal about what his struggles are, living with a condition that’s affected him his whole life. That mixed with a slower, more moody type beat makes for a song that I can relate to on a very personal level.